Monday 3 June 2024

TIS THE SEASON

 I went to Somerset for the weekend, to get a decent ride in while the weather was less rainy than usual. I had forgotten, of course, that ‘tis the season to do roadworks. Deck the roads with lots of traffic cones and all that. Of course, roadworks come with tailbacks of confused and irritated drivers (who apparently got their licences from a cereal box). At least I can filter. 

Now, it should take no more than 3.5 hours to get from London to Somerset on a bike, even on the A303, even with the congestion around Stonehenge (the sign says queues likely. Queues inevitable, more like). It took 4.25 this time, without stopping. I know, I know,  the M4 would be quicker but it’s BORING. The A-roads route is more fun, especially the A371 through the Mendips where you get scenic little places like Croscombe, which has been around since the eighth century at least. 


No comments:

Post a Comment