Wednesday 21 August 2024

SALAD DAYS

 Recently, I had occasion to brave the A303 past Stonehenge. As anyone who has ever taken that road knows, there are always queues. I believe 3am is clear most mornings, but that’s just a rumour at best. The road narrows to one lane as it passes the henge, and this is a major road heading southwest from London. Of course it narrows - Stonehenge and the surrounding landscape is a UNESCO site, after all. Most drivers seem to have had it explained to them that almost all  bikes are air-cooled, so they will generally get out of your way if they can, at least. However, this traffic meant that once past that, around about the A36 junction, I was getting fairly hungry. I turned south, and headed for Rainbow on the Lake, in Steeple Langford, which had come up on google maps and intrigued me. 



It has reasonable parking - half paved, half gravel but on what’s best called an interesting camber. I parked up and headed in. The terrace was closed, but there is also a bit of garden to the side, so I parked myself comfortably in the sun. 

I took a slight risk and ordered salad. You can never be sure what a pub understands by the term ‘salad’. This place gets it right. From what I saw of other patrons’ lunches, this place understands the art of having a limited menu and doing it extremely well. 

I did not try their coffee, as the day was too hot. But I shall visit again, I am sure, now that I’ve found them. 




No comments:

Post a Comment