Friday, 31 July 2026

HITTING THE HIGHWAY AGAIN

 It’s been a year, give or take, since I got my bike back after the accident. I haven’t been on any long trips, for circumstances unrelated to the residual cynicism about other road users, suspicion of all other vehicles and general paranoia and hyper awareness around the potential for everyone else to be utterly unpredictable, non-signalling and unobservant. I realise that these - or their levels at least - are what might be called post-traumatic effects. I’m just not sure that’s a bad thing, if it makes me safer on the road. 

I have done the fateful trip again, because I did not need any more reasons to hate the M25 (the world’s longest parking lot), and I refuse to let one idiot put me off that nightmare fuel even further. 

There’s definitely a place for learning from bad experiences, from pain and injury. I just hope the careless drivers also learn from their mistakes. But, given my increased cynicism, I’m really not holding my breath. 



No comments:

Post a Comment