Monday 3 September 2012

The Abysmal Science

If Economics is the Dismal Science, then Meteorology has got to be the Abysmal Science. The weekend was supposed to be dry in the South-East. Saturday pretty much was. Sunday morning dawned with the predicted cloud and no rain.
By the time I got to Lynn's it was grey and dry. This doesn't bother me - the UK is good at grey but dry. I can handle grey but dry, it's fine. It can even be fun because it discourages everyone else and gives me a clear road. Lynn said they'd changed their tune to "the odd shower, clearing by noon." The odd shower, I can cope with. The odd shower might be a pain when I've just had the bike cleaned, but it's no big deal.
Except that odd shower was a completely inaccurate prediction, and it poured down all the way from the M25 to Winchester. The roads were soaked, I was soaked. The bike is once again filthy.
It dried out while we had lunch and I blow-dried my jeans all the way back up the M3, but I can't help feeling that if I'd had an accurate forecast (not the spin they put on their guesswork so as not to depress people further), I'd've gone somewhere else and stayed drier...
But maybe the McDonalds ad has a point (and I can't believe I'm saying this): maybe predicting the British weather is impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment