Monday 16 June 2014

Homing Instinct


I do not have a satnav. I don’t generally carry a map book in South East England. Or chunks of the South West, for that matter. I can place Wisborough Green on a map, but not the Cricketers Arms. However, I get bored with the endless debate about leaving and leading and are we going to another pub, so I tend to leave. Follow me who will.
Really, folks, it’s not that heard. The A272 runs across SE England to Brighton and Lewes, and we know (or we should) that Wisborough Green and the South Downs are west of that.
So you head east, right? And in the UK, the sun is south of you. So if the sun is on your right, you’re facing east. No?
And sooner or later you meet a road sign with something recognisable and familiar on it: London, Dorking, A29, A24, Horsham, Beare Green, M25, Gatwick… London is signposted from absolutely everywhere, after all. And then it’s easy; you’re home and dry.
At least until the rain starts up again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment