Wednesday 20 July 2016

WHITE HEAT

The next new thing I learned was that my new baby warns me when she's getting too hot.  Almost all bikes are air-cooled, and it can be hard to prevent overheating as a result. If you're stuck in traffic, you're stuck. (Yes, this is a plea to motorists to please let us through).
The UK is in a heatwave (yippee!) and while stuck in traffic on Saturday, I heard a strange noise while idling. The trademark stutter of an HD engine seemed not louder, but somehow more pronounced. It ceased when I put the bike in gear and moved. Every time I idled, the strange noise started. Fine. OK. I wasn't far from home by then, so I tried an experiment and turned off at the next red light. This didn't do much for my burning jeans, but did stop the noise for 2 subsequent idles.
Of course, 2 days later I had a very clear view from the office of an overheated car combusting - literally - on Blackfriars bridge, and could thus thank my lucky stars that my little baby taught me how to avoid that on her. Before setting fire to my jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment