Monday 19 November 2018

SATNAV SAYS SCENIC

Recently, I’ve been taking scenic routes. Sometimes because they intrigue me and I want to see where they take me, and sometimes, admittedly, because I get lost. The other week I took the A246 in Surrey and tried out the Duke of Wellington. 
It has real fires, comfy chairs, paved parking, friendly staff and good food. Not cheap food, but that doesn’t make me wince when it’s tasty enough. It also serves Smarties with coffee. This is always a plus-point. 
This week, I wandered up to Hertfordshire, via the B roads and C roads in Chalfont, the Chilterns in general, and Colne Valley. Some of them are very pretty, especially at this time of year, but they are also muddy.
I ended up, as arranged, at Two Brewers in Chipperfield to meet a friend for lunch. It’s not a bad pub, but I think they were having a slightly off-day, food and service-wise. Still, the A412 is a fun road for large chunks and coming back was far easier than going. I wasn’t intending nearly as scenic a route as I took. This is where maps are infinitely preferable to satnav, because at one point, the satnav wanted to take me on a 5 mile loop, whereas pulling out on the map made it clear all I really had to do was a U-turn, and I was 2 miles down the road from my meal. Okay, so a car probably couldn’t have done a U-turn on the available road, but I ride a bike.

At the Duke of Wellington


No comments:

Post a Comment