Wednesday 3 July 2019

WINGING IT

Last summer, there was a lot of media attention on the decline of insert-insect-of-choice. Part of the proposed solution was to allow kerbs and islands to grow a little longer, to be mini-meadows. This has certainly had an effect on winged life, as well as being really pretty to ride past, or be stuck in traffic beside. My visor is dead-bug-central far more often than last summer. I even hit a butterfly on the motorway – which hasn’t ever happened to me before. 
In mainland Europe, you get poppies and company growing right up to the road in some places, so close that a bird can fly out of a hedge and straight into my arm. I’m not sure who was more stunned when this happened – me or it - and the same question occurred as the pretty butterfly wings plastered themselves to my headlight.


No comments:

Post a Comment