Monday 22 March 2021

SPRING(ER)



You wouldn’t know it from the temperatures, but according to the plants, it’s spring. The wind chill is still enough to have sensible bikers wearing multiple layers of Gore-Tex, and longing for heated gloves or grips, but the scenery is advertising longer days, warmer weather, and enticing roads.

Of course, there's still nowhere to go, really. Pubs are not allowed to open yet. Take away is the only option. On a bike, that's an interesting proposition, what with buff (mask), helmet and lack of spill-proof cupholders. I've had to find other objectives around which to structure rides. I mean, it's not that I NEED a destination or a purpose, but I do need to somehow decide in which direction to head.

The daffodils are nodding their heads, towering as they do over all the other early spring flowers. So, I thought I’d celebrate this with a form of Easter egg / scavenger hunt. That is, I decided to see how many types of daffodils, different blossoms and other signs of spring I could spot from the saddle. To make it interesting, I couldn’t count anything deliberately planted. Yeah, Easter egg hunt sounds better.





This was actually surprisingly fun, and not nearly as distracting as I expected it to be.
Next time, I probably won’t feel the need stick to roads I know as well as the back of my glove.

No comments:

Post a Comment