Tuesday 12 December 2023

STARRY EYED


In winter, one remembers just how far north the UK really is, because there is so little daylight. And that’s not factoring in the weather. So it’s always with some trepidation that I start my bike after a weather or work induced break from riding. 

Luckily, photovoltaic technology has improved significantly since the very first solar powered experiments, and my little solar panel has managed to keep enough of a trickle of charge flowing so far that the engine, however reluctantly in the cold, has started every time so far this season. 

The other issue with winter weather is its changeability. I had only a short window between showers, so I went to a favourite winter-ride pub: The Star at Leatherhead. It has heaters and shelter over its outdoor tables and actual fires inside. They’re also dog and bike friendly, which is not always as advertised in pubs. 



It was remarkably busy for a Saturday when I got there, but as usual, the service was welcoming and attentive, and the food was as good as usual. 

Also, they give you little chocolates with your coffee, which is always a plus. 




No comments:

Post a Comment