Monday 8 October 2012

Air Pollution


I was planning to do a blog about Ride To The Wall, which is in its 5th year.  One thing and another, this was not to be.  Among various work and exhaustion issues, the significant one is that my bike has developed the mechanical version of asthma. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s living all covered up and closed off from the fresh smog of London. Maybe it’s just living in the fresh smog of London, but my bike has very frighteningly developed a nasty stutter, the hiccoughs, a coughing fit. Hell, maybe she’s just caught the common cold.
She certainly doesn’t like starting up these days – it’s cold. And I’m out of her winter additive. If she is sick because I’ve not bought her more vitamins? I guess that’s fair enough, but it’s not all that cold yet. Winter Fuel Additive is supposed to be for winter, and it’s barely autumn.
I’ll be riding along, perfectly happy, and she’ll be purring at being on the road, and suddenly her speedo drops to zero, her engine light flashes on and while she doesn’t quite cut out, she stutters and chokes and then suddenly behaves again.
Which, at 70 mph, isn’t the world’s most reassuring experience for the rider. So I abandoned my plans for a longer ride and limped her home. Every time I relaxed, thinking her asthma attack was over? She did it again.
I guess I’m calling the mechanic this week… 

No comments:

Post a Comment