Monday 8 October 2012

Black Rabbits, White Elephants & Red Owls


A couple of weeks ago, I went on a chapter run down to Arundel. To, in fact, a very nice pub just beyond Arundel, along the river. It’s called The Black Rabbit and I actually had choices on their menu. They also have the sense to do mini-desserts, which are a lovely size with coffee. But enough about them. This is a bike blog, not BeerintheEvening or UrbanSpoon.
The ride down went on roads I’ve seldom used and go down that way quite a lot. (Arundel has more than the usual number of biker-friendly eateries, and it’s a nice distance from London for a shorter run).  And as we meandered in a very long snake up and around and down Box Hill I realised that while there are probably many white elephants left over from the Games,  there is a definite legacy.  It’s the lovely newly tarred, smooth and beautiful road surface at Box Hill.  One of the reasons I don’t use that road is that the last time I went down it, it was revoltingly gravelly and pot-holed.  Thank heavens for Olympic road cycling events.
About a week later, Lynn and I headed out for a Sunday ride – thinking of revisiting Arundel, when we realised that autumn has arrived. It’s chilly these mornings, and cloudy and breezy. Coffee is frequently required, if only to clutch the cup and thaw our fingers. So we stopped at the red sign of the Wise Owl in Kingsfold, on the road I will forever call the Duck Road after the duck and her ducklings who crossed it in front of my 125cc way back in the day while Lynn rode ahead wondering where I’d got to now.  The Owl’s sign used to be green and it used to pretentious with prices to match and no concept of service. It’s changed hands and colours, if not names, and vastly improved.  It serves biscuits with its coffee, which is always a plus in a pub and saves me ordering dessert.  (Which is a mixed blessing).

No comments:

Post a Comment