Tuesday 1 August 2017

IRON SUPPLEMENTS & HEARING

A friend sent me a picture of a Harley, with the caption: Stressed Out? Maybe you just need an iron supplement.
I always take good advice, so at the first half-dry opportunity, went for a ride. I didn't go far - London was be-ringed by rain - but I managed to get past the M25 for a coffee.
I didn't really pay enough attention to the warning signs about road closures and a cycling event... Coming back, I hit lengthly tailbacks from Robin Hood to Waterloo. As usual, at least half the cars stuck in them resented my ability to filter, and blocked me, forcing me to queue too. This would be less of a problem on a bike with a water cooled engine. 
Around Vauxhall, the idle note changed. I kind of love that my bike audibly pants when she's overheating, so I know in time to do something about it. I hate hearing it, though. 
I kept switching off whenever stationary, which helps just enough to get me back into the parking, where she can cool off all week. Of course, the lack of engine noise means idiots are audible when they look at me, and the bike, and then ask "is that a Sportster?" because of course a woman can't possibly ride anything more powerful. Sportsters look nothing like Softails. I should know, I've had both models. 
Also some random idiot on an upright-position bike: 'Noisy!' Um. Yes. That's kind of the point, and why I wear earplugs when riding. At least other road users can hear me, regardless of whether they're looking at their phones or not. And honestly? I'm quieter than a lot of car radios. 

No comments:

Post a Comment