Tuesday 22 August 2017

OF ROADS & LIDS & OTHER THINGS

The last time I wore a full face helmet, I dropped it onto cement driveway and it bounced merrily towards the road. After that, I could no longer pretend it was undamaged.
This isn’t a huge impediment to riding, because generally I prefer an open face anyway. But the bike has no screen, so if I expect more than a couple of junctions of motorway, a full face is somewhat imperative, if only for the sake of not having to stop every 10 miles for eyedrops. So when such a trip loomed, I went shopping.
Helmet regulations and shopping have changed since the last time I bought a lid. This says something for how long I keep my lids, which is partly because they cost a bomb (for a good one) and partly because disposal of the old is always the big problem, as they’re too composite in make-up to recycle.
I’ve seen some creative solutions- repurposing lids to be hanging flower baskets, or small storage hutches, but I lack the tools to do either conversion and the space for use afterwards.
So I went down the usually suggested route of offering it as a training aid to my local fire service –  who still haven’t replied and it’s been months  - or ambulance service, who didn’t initially understand the question, put me through the training, who haven’t responded to my voicemail.
You’d think such places would be grateful for a supply of free lids on which to practice cutting up and removing safely.
What I don’t understand is why the bike shop chains don’t make a deal with the ambulance and fire services by which they collect lids (dropped off when you buy a new one) and the services pick them up in bulk from there. It would make things easier and probably cheaper for bikers & services, and wouldn’t do the stores any harm either, especially as a PR exercise.

(If anyone wants to act on this idea, please be my damn guest).

No comments:

Post a Comment