Tuesday 1 July 2014

Jiggity-jog


On Sunday morning, I got up early and got going, largely because I've known it take 4 hours to get from Bruges to Calais, regardless of what Google tells me. I was also doing this the old-fashioned way: map books and road signs, because I do nat have, nor do I want, a satnav. I have enough problems without adding more technology with associated chargers and cables to my baggage. 
Also, I wanted some pretties, without caning it all the way up the autobahn. 
I'd booked my train back for 2050, and I left Assmanshausen at 0900, so I reckoned I had plenty time for what Google insisted was a 6.5 hour journey. 
I took almost the route I'd planned (she says smugly. Road signs have their uses. I only looked at the map once, when I followed a sign from Koblenz towards Koln and realised I wasn't the road I'd expected. But since the road I was on was even quieter and prettier and twistier than the one I'd planned, I wasn't complaining for as long as it went in the right general direction. 
So of course, as I'd allowed plenty time, the sun shone all day and the traffic decided travel wasn't in its plans, and I got to the Calais terminal at 1530. 
The nice gent at the ticket office smiled at me when I said I'd booked but was a bit early. He offered me a place on the 1750, for a princely €3, or a free place on the 1820. I paid the fee (I can live with that fee). 

No comments:

Post a Comment