Wednesday 17 May 2023

AUSTRIA



Germany likes to build bridges. It’s very proud of its bridges, and likes to tell you the name, length and height of the bridge before you cross it. Austria, on the other hand, has more mountains per square kilometre than its larger neighbour, and prefers to build tunnels. Of which it’s very proud, and likes to tell you the name and length of the tunnel before you enter it. 

I crossed into Austria on Day Three, after a slightly troublesome start with a strap on my bag breaking off completely, which caused a rethink about attaching my luggage and subsequent resumption of paranoia about the subject. 

I had sorted my digital vignette in good time, at least. The advantage of a digital vignette is that it no longer matters that I have no screen or similar location in which to stick one. 

However, I made it to southern Styria in one piece, all straps still strapped and all luggage still tightly attached. Weingut Tauss, where I was staying for a few days, was absolutely lovely, and welcomed me with a much appreciated glass of wine in the garden. 

After a couple of days there, I headed up to Salzburg, where a prevalence of roadworks and detours meant I arrived at my hotel later than planned and rather disorientated. Salzburg is a beautiful stop to make and a bike friendly place - roadworks notwithstanding. 


No comments:

Post a Comment