Tuesday 16 May 2023

AUTOBAHNS AND OTHER ROADS

On Day Two, I crossed over into Germany. I like the autobahn system, with its wide, smooth lanes and regular services and rest areas, and general rapidity. I wasn’t going all that fast, of course because a) I don’t have a screen and b) I was wearing an open-face helmet, which the wind (see point a) kept trying to remove. 

I tightened the strap at every other petrol stop, which helped a lot, but I would still have been better off with more between my eyeballs and the wind. I also cleaned my visor every stop - the European insect population is extremely healthy, if somewhat suicidal. 

I like riding through Germany. For a start, most Schengen countries are more bike-friendly than the UK (not much of an achievement, but still). Secondly, Germany has very nice A and B roads. Not as fast as the Autobahns, but well maintained and reasonably quick and well sign-posted (assuming you know the names and relative positions of the villages). They’re not great for signposting petrol stations, but you can’t have everything and that’s what smartphone mapping apps are for. 


No comments:

Post a Comment