Saturday 13 May 2023

BREXIT

 I recently went for a road trip around several Schengen countries. The last time I did this was on a previous bike and as an EU citizen. So you might reasonably say it’s been a while. 

Initially, my bike had a solo seat, which had to be changed before I could anywhere that involved luggage. One needs to attach it to the bike somehow, after all. 

Also, I don’t have a screen on my current bike. And then Covid happened, and nobody was going anywhere for some years. 

This trip began with the question of where in Europe to go, then how to get there and how many days would that reasonably require. There is a lot of logistical and administrative bumpf to consider when doing these things, some of which I’d completely forgotten about and some of which is New Since Brexit. 

Then the question of pre-booking accommodation or simply taking my chances in the evenings - I’ve heard both schools of thought and usually come down on the chancing it side. This time, I pre-booked, in order not to need a satnav or have to install comms in my helmet. 

When the day dawned, I strapped my bag onto the bike and headed for the Eurotunnel. 




No comments:

Post a Comment