Tuesday 17 May 2011

All loaded? Let’s roll.

I am gearing up for my first major bike trip. Killarney and Bruges don’t count. This time I’m going 2000 miles, through 7 countries, speaking 6 languages. Each has its own road rules and signposts, and I only speak one of the relevant languages at all fluently (although I can ask for help, hotels and wine in another 4).
The excuse for the trip is the Annual HOG Europe Rally in Croatia, at which several thousand bikes and HOGs will roll around town and catch up with each other and generally deafen the locals with engines, rock ‘n roll and general conviviality. It should be good, it generally is.
The preparations have been ongoing for quite some time, which is odd, given that the plan is to take it as it comes and not pre-book much at all. The ferries are sorted and the hotel at the rally. I’ve also pre-booked parking in Venice, which is even harder to come by than accommodation on the Grand Canal. And about the same price.
I’ve got new motorcycle luggage, which I’ve never used or tried loading onto the bike I’m taking. But that’s why cargo nets were invented, so it doesn’t worry me much.
The bike’s been checked for insurance for every country the route goes through, it’s had its tax paid and its MOT booked. I’ve made copies of all the relevant documents and got a waterproof pouch for my phone (I’ve lost one smartphone to a downpour on a motorway, damned if I’m going to repeat the experience).
Every time I think I’m almost ready for it, my to-do list sprouts new items as if by magic. I think it could be highly entertaining to let me loose across Europe for 2 weeks, given that I’ve never done a trip this gruelling or indeed, any training for it. My plan is to update this blog when I can, in the hopes that my two-wheeled (mis)adventures brighten your day.
Wish me safe riding and many photo opps.
All loaded? Let’s roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment