Tuesday 19 June 2012

Lovely road, shame about the surface...

A marathon run today. For some reason, travelling by road in the UK is very slow, France is nearly as bad, but Spain is quick. Portugal is an impossible combination of France and Spain. This morning saw me wake up in Salamanca and finish up in Huesca near the pyrenees on the east of Spain. That's 530km, give or take because that's as the pilgrim walks (we probably rode further but the driving directions take a completely different route). Tomorrow is about the same distance, but hopefully mainly on faster roads. Although, we will be in France... Today we decided to trust the satnav. That is, Lynn decided to trust the satnav and I decided to keep my mouth shut. Lynn doesn't trust her own reading of the satnav. After the third stop in 50km, I suggested she switch comms channels in orde to hear the satnav before it's too late to indicate and I have to cut up artics to make the turn. This probably saved several years of my hearing as I no longer had her wind noise to contend with. I left my earplugs in cascais. We ended up on the na-125 through a national park. It's a lovely road, with very pretty scenery. (Almost all of Spain has pretty scenery. This was just a bit wilder). But the surface was increasingly bad, and it didn't help that we were chasing rain. The roads were wet and slippy, but at least our mudguards are cleaner now. We passed a trio of BMW riders, who waved, but I'll bet they were thinking we had to be lost, harleys would never choose that road. And women, too! Insert every cliche you wish. We did choose that road - we just didn't know what condition it was in. And if we had? Well, it took us 30 minutes of riding up and down steep cobbles that looked worryingly pedestrian to get out of Tudela, which is a town you could spit across. Satnav says? Just pass me the map already! Although I will say it has fantastic taste in hotels and tends to pick 4-star ones with parking. Lynn has just told me the weather forecast is thunderstorms. That could be fun. Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment