Friday 15 June 2012

She'll be coming round the mountain... So tuesday dawned clear and bright so we decided to do a bit of touring. We'd been advised to see the national parks, so we headed for Serra Estela. Pretty Mountain roads, right? Well, kinda. The roads are stunning, the views are better but we hit low hanging cloud and promptly froze. I wasn't wearing waterproofs or thermal layers or winter gloves and i was burningly cold. We stopped off to take pictures, but as our hands were frozen, the pictures aren't the best. So we headed down the far side of the pass and behold! My speedo suddenly read 0 and the engine was suspiciously quiet because the bike had cut out. I have no idea why. I panicked rather deliberately over comma to Lynn and pulled over to the tiny gap between the line and the crash barrier. Luckily, my bike decided to stop messing around and started again as if there'd been no issue. Diva.

She'll be coming round the mountain...
So tuesday dawned clear and bright so we decided to do a bit of
touring. We'd been advised to see the national parks, so we headed for
Serra Estela. Pretty Mountain roads, right? Well, kinda. The roads are
stunning, the views are better but we hit low hanging cloud and
promptly froze. I wasn't wearing waterproofs or thermal layers or
winter gloves and i was burningly cold. We stopped off to take
pictures, but as our hands were frozen, the pictures aren't the best.
So we headed down the far side of the pass and behold! My speedo
suddenly read 0 and the engine was suspiciously quiet because the bike
had cut out. I have no idea why. I panicked rather deliberately over
comma to Lynn and pulled over to the tiny gap between the line and the
crash barrier. Luckily, my bike decided to stop messing around and
started again as if there'd been no issue. Diva.
We stopped in the pretty mountain town of Colvinha for lunch - and
both we and the bikes were stated at for the duration of our stay. I'm
not sure I want to know what was being said, although I can hazard an
educated guess.
We meandered scenically on and up/downward to castelo branco - and had
a major petrol panic when the first two stations were defunct - then
wound up on the motorway looking for Bikers Base near Portalegre.
When we eventually managed to take the right turn off from the IP2
(which has an insane toll system based on post-use postal fees and
can't be applied to tourists) we found an as yet unfinished B&B run by
a very friendly Yorkshire couple. The place will be amazing when it's
all done but for now their stories of the vagaries of portugese red
tape & contractors in general are very entertaining. It was probably
the most enjoyable night of the trip.
www.bikersbase.com


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment