Thursday 12 September 2013

Autobahn moments

There is, these days, a speed limit on most German Autobahns. It's 130kph, like most of Europe. It's also seldom enforced, which is great for those of us in a hurry. We hit something between 85-90mph (135-145kph) for large chunks of the way home. When not held up by roadworks and traffic marmalades. Speed is good fun, and you don't really notice how fast you're going until you look at the speedo, and realise you need to slow down before you cross into a country that does believe in speed cameras. I have these autobahn moments everywhere. It's only in Germany that I can be nonchalant about getting away with them.
We got to Luxembourg, filled up and wondered why we couldn't fill up there more than once, as petrol is significantly cheaper in Luxembourg than in its neighbours. Oh well. Can't have everything.
But I noticed, along with the pretty price, I had an oil leak. This time, it was coming from the oil tank. Which made it pretty harmless if I could keep it off my belt and tires, and also entirely my fault.
Being hyper-aware of my new parts and their appetites, as well as slightly paranoid about oil levels anyway, I had topped up my oil before leaving Villach. Just topped it up a bit much...
and the faster you go, the hotter things get and the more oil you need, and also the more the oil expands.
Still, no harm done, unless you count the waste of oil and the blister on my finger where I burnt it on the engine wiping up the overspill.

No comments:

Post a Comment