Thursday 12 September 2013

Miles to go before I sleep

So the train was delayed. Calais terminal is not the most interesting place to hang out, particularly when you're running low on Euro-cash.
I did get told off by a Triumph enthusiast for wearing a Triumph rain-suit on a Harley. What can I say? It fits and it works. At least, it works when I do the velcro correctly.
And on the train, when we finally got there, we met a BMW-riding photographer and his Ultra Glide (HD) riding friend, also on their way back from Faaker See. And very impressed at two women riding the distances we tend to. Although I really don't know why. With the right seat and the right bars, and the right amount of power in the engine, it's really not that hard. Insert key, take bike off stand, start up, put in gear, open throttle and hey presto!
But they wished us a safe ride home, and we all debarked together and headed for the M20. The trouble with returning to the UK is that I always need about 10 miles to remember it's miles. And to drive on the left. And to stop converting all distances from km to m in my head.
I had plenty of time, though. The M25 had developed roadworks in my absence, and I had to come off a junction later than I wanted to, and head north on the M23 - which I hate. Almost as much as I loathe the M25 itself.
Sigh.
But I got home in one pice, despite the cold, the wet and the general exhaustion; got unloaded, got the house unlocked and collapsed in a heap.

No comments:

Post a Comment