Wednesday 4 September 2013

Grossglocknerhochalpenstrasse

Yes, the name is a mouthful. Try the actual road sometime, and then talk to me about twisters.
The Grossglockner High Alpine Road was recently advertised as one of the best biking roads in Europe. The head of HOG UK told Lynn we had to ride it. So we planned the route around it.
Day 4: Lynn led, partly because I was seriously out of patience after the disaster of day 3. (Day 3: long, itsy baby slow roads and ultimately freezing and exhausted and desperate enough to take the first available hotel, regardless of cost or amenities. In the end it wasn't too bad, but still).
We hit the pass fairly early, and I went at the back. I hate having bikes behind me down hairpin bends, because they make me nervous. Nervous and tense are Bad Things on twisties. 
But the pass is worth the €23 it costs to ride - it's incredible. It's beautiful and exhilarating and the biking equivalent of Thorpe park. I did manage to video it on my go-pro, but posting that will have to wait until I'm somewhere I can make the camera talk to the blog. 
From there, the roof of Austria, it was all downhill to Villach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment